PlateSpin has announced the release of PowerConvert 6.0 with full support for the recently released VMware Infrastructure 3 (VI3).
PlateSpin reckons the new product's live conversion feature helps data centres make a seamless transition from VMware ESX Server 2.5 to VI3 with minimal interruption.
PowerConvert automates the process of streaming servers across physical, virtual, blade and image-based infrastructures, without having to stop the VM or make any changes to it, according to the Canadian company.
Other applications for PowerConvert, according to marketing manager Cadman Chui, include consolidation, developing hardware images for deployment in production environments, de-virtualisation, and geographical server migration for disaster recovery purposes.
PowerConvert 6.0 features include:
- Drag-and-drop virtual machines from VMware ESX Server 2.5 and VMware Server into VMware Infrastructure 3
- For production virtual machines running Windows 2000, Windows 2003 and Windows XP operating systems, the virtual machine remains live as its OS, applications and data are migrated to new VMware Infrastructure 3 hosts with only a brief (one- to five-minute) interruption
- Automate the discover, configure and convert functionality
- Optionally reconfigure CPU, disk, network and memory resources on the new target virtual machine
- Upgrade multiple virtual machines simultaneously onto new VMware Infrastructure 3 hosts
"Customers looking to benefit from virtualisation have a rich set of options in VMware software, from the desktop to the data center," said Karthik Rau, senior director of infrastructure products and solutions at VMware. "PlateSpin's support in PowerConvert for VMware Infrastructure 3 gives our mutual customers a great set of options for accelerating their deployment of VMware Infrastructure 3, the third generation of the industry-leading infrastructure virtualisation software suite."
"PlateSpin's OS Portability technology will allow customers to migrate quickly and easily to the new VMware Infrastructure 3," said Simon Gay, consultancy practice leader at Computacenter. "By providing an upgrade path from VMware ESX Server 2.5 to VMware Infrastructure 3 that requires minimal downtime of production virtual machines, PlateSpin is yet again adding value and providing advanced technology that puts data centres on the fast track of virtualisation."
PlateSpin PowerConvert 6.0 will be generally available from 4 August. Prices start at $45 per conversion.
Find your next job with techworld jobs