HitmanPro.Alert is a commercial security tool, which focusses on anti-ransomware protection and could make a useful addition to your existing antivirus package.
Although there's an installer, there's no need to install anything; just launch the program, click Next > Next and it will begin to scan your PC. This process only takes a few minutes, after which any suspicious files are uploaded to the HitmanPro servers, and analysed by multiple antivirus tools (Bitdefender, Emsisoft, G Data, IKARUS) before a final report is produced.
All this happens for free (for home users), too, but if you want to remove something then you can only do so within the program's trial period.
Our results listed a wide range of tracking cookies that HitmanPro.Alert suggested should be removed, but also some hidden Google tracking apps provided by a known brand. but also flagged up AVG as suspicious, but rightly suggested it should be ignored.
HitmanPro.Alert differs from the regular HitmanPro in that it offers real-time protection against threats, whereas HitmanPro is an on-demand scanner and more useful sitting alongside your regular security suite as a second-layer scanner.
What's new in 22.214.171.1245 (see changelog for more)?
- Improved Code injection, which will result in faster boot times on Windows 10. It also fixes a rare issue a few Windows 10 users had where the system did not finish boot correctly
- Improved Heap Heap Protect mitigation as it should now play more nicely with certain .NET applications
- Improved Hardware Assisted Control-Flow Integrity, our Last Branch Record CPU assisted ROP mitigation, to fix false positives we're seeing on some newer CPUs
- Improved Alert info regarding our real-time Anti-Malware and Code Cave mitigation
- Fixed Rare bug in CryptoGuard which sometimes forgot to make a backup of a file - which you could lose in the event of a ransomware attack
A useful tool which could spot malware your regular antivirus package has missed