AVG AntiVirus FREE is a fast, effective and extremely popular antivirus tool, mixing the best of AVAST and AVG's technology.
A stylish and appealing Windows 10 interface makes it easy to see the latest security status for various areas, with panels for "Computer" and "Web & Email" (there's also greyed out "Hacker Attacks", "Private Data" and "Payments" which are modules in the paid-for AVG Internet Security 2019).
Each panel represents an aspect of AVG FREE's protection - antivirus, browsing protection, behavioural monitoring and email scanning - and you can click any of these to enable, disable or configure it to suit your needs.
You'll probably be more interested in checking your system for malware, though, and that's just as straightforward: click "Scan Computer" and watch as the program goes to work.
If you need more control, click the gear icon next to "Scan Computer" and you're able to check specific files or folders, run different scan types, or use the flexible scheduler to automatically run scans whenever you like.
Upgrading to AVG Internet Security gets you improved browsing protection, priority security updates, a smart firewall, spam filter, file encryption, a software update tool and much more.
What's new in 19.8?
- Hello, menu, my new friend - Check out all the useful shortcuts we’ve added to our top-right menu
- Goodbye, double-click - You no longer have to click twice on our popups to open or close them
- Smarter Smart Scan - Virus scan now deals with threats automatically, so you don’t have to sit through our scans
- “Reboot” got the boot - A redundant reboot message was fixed. A redundant reboot message was fixed
- Firewall fix - Changing your Firewall settings will now (gasp!) actually change your Firewall settings
- Passive Mode fix - Turning on or off Passive Mode no longer shows an infinitely spinning circle (your cat may miss this one, but you won’t)
The new AVG AntiVirus FREE has gained some welcome extras from the new AVAST input, and we'll be interested to see how that translates into protection levels.