Vivaldi is a new browser from a team lead by Jon S. von Tetzchner, the co-founder of Opera.
The end result is streamlined and straightforward to use. Browser tabs at the top of the page, address and search bar below, a menu button top-left points to a few useful options (File > Import Data can import your bookmarks, passwords, history, and search engines from IE, Opera and Firefox).
A tabbed panel on the left gives access to various extras. A Notes section allows you to take text notes and screen shots, and add tags to any site. There are Downloads, Bookmarks and Contacts panels, too, as well as one for "Vivaldi Mail" (although a message explains this "is not ready") and a web panel option, which lets you pin frequently accessed web sites, feeds and other resources for easy access alongside the main browser window.
The Speed Dials page doesn't just display static thumbnails of your favourite sites. You can organise them by interest, context, add folders, and more.
Open too many sites and Vivaldi offers a new way to restore order. Dragging one tab over another creates a Tab Stack, where a single tab represents multiple sites. This works much like a group of buttons on the Windows taskbar: hover your mouse over the tab, thumbnails appear for each of the sites it represents, and you simply click the one you need.
There's also very good keyboard support via "Quick Commands". Press Ctrl+Q at any point and a menu appears listing all your open tabs and most important commands. Select whatever you want directly from the list, or press the listed hotkey (Ctrl+H for Notes).
This is the first stable release of Vivaldi.
What's new in v2.6 (see changelog for full list)?
- [New] Add support for blocking ‘abusive’ Ads VB-46155
- [New][Accessibility] Allow to open “Find in Page” result with keyboard via Ctrl+Enter if it is a link VB-3341
- [New][Profiles] Update the avatars VB-53590
- [New][Profiles] Add support for adding and deleting in the popup VB-52800
- [New][Profiles] Allow editing of avatar within the popup VB-51350
- [New][Panels] Add unread tab counter to the Window panel VB-35467
- [New][Razer Chroma] Add support for headset devices VB-53039
- [New][Settings][Search Field] Show favicon for active engine VB-2610
- [New][Settings] Provide a way to filter saved passwords VB-52407
- [New][Settings] Show context menu on double click VB-35436
- [New][UI] Update images for error pages VB-52938
Vivaldi's customisability and flexibility is joined by genuinely innovative features such as tab stacks and web panels to make it a genuine alternative browser for the power user.