UltraEdit is a very powerful programmer's editor. Supremely customisable, it comes with multiple prebuilt Environments that allow you to set up the program just as you'd like.
The Programmer/ Developer environment adds syntax highlighting for more than 20 languages, while code folding helps to ensure that even the most complex documents remain readable. A dockable function manager assists with navigation, and the XML Manager provides a tree-style view of XML-based documents.
Other environments include Notepad Replacement, which can open files greater than 4GB in size; System Administrator supports FTP/ SFTP, and Telnet/ SSH access; Technical Writer adds column mode editing; and Compare Files quickly locates and highlights the differences between the documents you specify.
If there's no one environment to suit your needs, then it's easy to create one that does. And all environments benefit from a host of high-end editing features, including Unicode support, multiline search and replace, a 100,000 word spell checker, web search toolbar, integrated encryption/ decryption, and a scripting language to automate common tasks.
Version 25 brings (changelog):
- Collapsible Find in Files results for output window (per file)
- Find in files results highlighting in output window
- New spell checker based on Windows API
- Bookmark enhancements
- New "Open folder" option in Explorer context menu
- Internally refactored UTF-8 handling
- New "Filter on selection" in Home tab to show only lines in file containing selected text
- Ability to add macros or scripts to toolbar, ribbon, or context menu
- Key mapping, toolbar / ribbon support for "Save and upload to server" for FTP-linked files
- New "Automatically upload saved files" option to FTP-linked folder context menu (Project tab)
- Ability to customize tags inserted by HTML toolbar buttons
- Ability to set output encoding for user tools (ANSI, UTF-8, or UTF-16)
- Better folder pickers for Find in Files, projects, etc.
- Much more responsive XML / JSON manager trees, especially with large structures and data
- Greatly improved performance for files opened from slow network or VPN
- Other minor fixes, improvements, and enhancements
UltraEdit is an exceptional editor, packed with essential features yet still surprisingly compact