AudioShell is a Windows Explorer extension which enables viewing and editing of ID3 and other tags.
Explorer may be able do some of this all ready, depending on your version of Windows and the applications you've installed, but AudioShell takes the idea further by supporting all these audio and tag formats.
- mp3 (all ID3 tag versions)
- Windows Media (wma, asf and wmv files)
- Apple iTunes aac (m4a, m4p, m4r and m4b) and mp4 and aiff files
- ogg, flac, opus, speex (vorbis comment tags)
- mpc, mp+, monkey’s audio, wav pack, optim frog, true audio - APE tags, APEv2 tags
- wav - ID3v2.3 tag in 'id3 ' RIFF chunk and LIST INFO chunk
- dsf (DSD/Direct-Stream Digital) - ID3v2.3 tag
The package also supports more tags, including lyrics and cover art (although it won't find these automatically), and is able to display and edit the tags for multiple selected files.
All this may be accessed by selecting one or more files, right-clicking them and choosing "AudioShell".
AudioShell enhances Explorer's native abilities by adding more tags to Windows Explorer columns, and includes a thumbnail handler which shows album art in Explorer.
Bonus features include a batch file rename tool.
AudioShell didn't always work as we expected, but it might be useful if you need more tag support than Windows already provides.