BBC Worldwide, the commercial arm of the BBC, has chosen six digital media start-ups to take part in its latest Labs programme.
Now in its third year, the six month accelerator programme is for emerging digital media companies in the UK.
BBC Worldwide chief digital officer Daniel Heaf said BBC Worldwide Labs is aiming to contribute to the growing UK tech and start-up ecosystem.
"For 2014, we are hugely proud to announce Seenit, Rezonence, CrowdEmotion, Op3nvoice, Verticly and Buddy Bounce joining our extended digital family," he said. "With a strong pool of Labs applicants, we’ve carefully selected six companies based on their compatibility with BBC Worldwide’s business values. Now comes the exciting part where we work to help these start-ups reach the next level of success."
BBC Worldwide said the start-ups have been selected based on their "natural alignment" with its existing business units and international brands, and the start-ups’ potential global reach. The organisation added that a number of the companies are involved in business areas that have not been explored by previous Labs companies, such as audience research, video search and advertising.
This year’s cohort of six moved into BBC Worldwide’s London headquarters this week, where the broadcaster says they will get support and guidance from industry experts and mentors from around the business.
While the start-ups get free office space and access to the BBC’s network, they don't get the funding that many other accelerator programmes offer. For example, Barclays offers start-ups £12,000 in seed funding when they accept a place on its accelerator programme, while Startupbootcamp offers €15,000.
However, unlike many other accelerator programmes, BBC Worldwide does not take any equity in the business.
BBC Worldwide Labs 2014 start-ups
- Seenit is an app that allows brands to launch video-filming campaigns and mobilise smart phone users to co-create contents.
- Rezonence’sadvertising format allows publishers to monetise their digital content by asking consumers to “pay” with engagement.
- CrowdEmotion’s software is capable of analysing facial expressions to measure emotions which help’s to measure audience engagement with media content.
- OP3NVoice makes video and audio search easy. With a few lines of codes, OP3NVoice allows users to search for the contents of video and audio just like how they would search for texts.
- Verticlyis an e-commerce system that allows brands to serve adverts in real time that are relevant to users and increase conversion based on user engagement.
- Buddy Bounce is a platform that helps celebrities and brands connect better with their fans. Fans can share pictures, texts, videos and other content on BuddyBounce to earn credits and get noticed by their favourite brands and celebrities.