Computer Associates (CA) has joined the market for security alerts with the launch of a new Security Advisor website.
The updated site follows in the footsteps of other companies by including the information for free on the Web while also allowing people to sign up for email updates, plus producing an RSS newsfeed. The alerts will cover viruses and software vulnerabilities as, and when, they occur.
The company's "Threat Dashboard" provides a Web-based feed of critical threat information, and allows syndication so organisations can display CA Security Advisor alerts on their own sites. The RSS "Threat Feeds" allow individual users who have installed a news reader, to continuously access updated threat news on their desktop. This, CA says, provides additional means for organisations to receive security intelligence in the marketplace.
The threats themselves stem from CA's Security Advisory Team, formerly known as eTrust Target.
CA claims that its site is the first, single-source destination for detailed and validated information regarding computing threats, including malware and vulnerabilities. A claim that neatly ignores the existence of several other security companies - including eEye, F-Secure and Secunia, among others - which paved the way for free security information (where previously it was charged for) and make money on the back of sales of software for tackling the threats.
CA's site offers, according to the company:
- The latest information regarding threats that can affect networks and computing environments
- Immediate critical threat e-mail notifications
- 24x7x365 research and analysis on the latest security threats
- SECCON, a real-time global security indicator, providing the security threat risk status
- Expert security advice and descriptions of threats including risk, impacts, affected versions, distribution methods, detection signature files, validated recommendations and instructions for fixing the problem, and clean-up utilities
- CA Security Advisor Threat Alerts including free critical e-mail alerts, the Threat Dashboard, and RSS Threat Feeds
- Valuable documentation and guides on implementing complete threat protection solutions, and the latest security threat news and information
The site can be found at www3.ca.com/securityadvisor.