"Enlightened coexistence" between Web and native device application platforms will be a key trend in 2013, according to an IDC assessment of how the application development realm will take shape this year.
In a newly released report, "Application Development Predictions for 2013," IDC anticipates continued disruption with mobile platforms usurping client computing and cloud platforms making headway in enterprises. Enlightened coexistence between Web and native device application platforms will prevail, IDC says, and native deployed applications will stay dominant, while Web platform (HTML5) technologies will make significant inroads.
PaaS (platform as a service) platforms will make inroads into the enterprise by offering private cloud options and stronger operational support. "In 2012, we saw cloud adoption cross an inflection point in terms of larger enterprise adoption," the report says. "In 2013, PaaS will cross the chasm from developer-focused offerings focused on consumer applications to enterprise operation-focused offerings accommodating enterprise applications." IDC also says multitenancy techniques in PaaS platforms will be the subject of experimentation as they become recognized for providing efficiency and density to a successful PaaS.
In other predictions for 2013, IDC says:
- Mobile application platforms will show signs of diversification, with Google's Android platform exposing weaknesses even as it dominates. New platforms will take hold if they have the right ingredients, focus, and execution.
- Schedule-based software-release-cycle management will become dominant, gradually replacing feature-oriented release-cycle-management approaches.
- Device frameworks for integrated multiscreen and second-screen applications will evolve to support usage scenarios that better exploit convergence between personal tablets and shared big-screen TVs.
- Heterogeneous parallel processing will become more common, with general-purpose applications taking advantage of parallel computation offered by device GPUs.
- Embedded platforms will start aligning with major consumer device application platforms to leverage developer skill ecosystems.
Find your next job with techworld jobs