In a news story about Attorn's HyperDrive 4 RAM-based solid state disk comparative data from Attorn contrasting the HyperDrive 4 with Texas Memory Systems' RamSan-120 product was mentioned. TMS says it's an old and so wrong product for a comparison. Things look different when the RamSan-300 is used as the comparison point.
Woody Hutsell, a VP at Texas Memory Systems, had this to say about Attorn's HyperDrive 4 solid state disk (SSD) technology:-
First, as far as hard disk form factor SDRAM solid state disks (go), this one is not very mature. Secondly, the product that they should compare to is our RamSan-300 unit:-
- Performance (HyperDrive 4 vs RamSan):
- Peak IOPS: 44,000 vs. 200,000.
- Peak MB/second: 120 vs. 1,500
- Access Time: 1 micro vs 15 micro (we are not sure we believe their latency number, but even if it is true it should be reflected in the IOPS ... and it is not) documented Storage Performance Council results completed by Texas Memory Systems but not for HyperDrive.
Concerning the reliability Features of HyperDrive 4 and RamSan-300:
- Backup hard disk: 1 laptop-sized backup drive (optional and not integrated with battery) vs. two RAID-protected Western Digital Raptor Drives.
- Batteries: external battery (optional) vs. two redundant large batteries.
- Backup to disk: Passive vs. Active (not sure what passive back-up to disk means but seems to be user-initiated).
- Chipkill: No vs. Yes (i.e. in the HyperDrive data is lost if a memory chip fails).
- Soft Error Scrubbing: No vs. Yes
For most of our customers, the HyperDrive solution is not palatable because of the lack of enterprise reliability features. Would you really trust your enterprise data on the health of an external battery or non-integrated single notebook hard drive?
A Texas Memory Systems RamSan, because it is external and supports Fibre Channel or InfiniBand, can be shared across multiple servers simultaneously enabling a company to take advantage of our dramatic performance capability.
The HyperDrive is less expensive.
Find your next job with techworld jobs